Library is now accepting volunteers. Come in and fill out an application.
With regular use, library shelves
can become out of order, making it difficult for patrons and staff to find
what they are looking for. By adopting a shelf, volunteers are charged with
keeping their area neat and organized.
- Project READ was established to increase the level of functional literacy among adults throughout the Eastern Shore region utilizing and training volunteers who teach the English language skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Approximately 20% of adult residents of the Eastern Shore of Maryland cannot read or write at a functional level.
- Anyone 16 or over not enrolled in public school is eligible.
- Most of our clients and tutors meet at the library or other public place at a time convenient to both student and tutor.
- Project READ is a one-to-one tutoring program. We use Laubach and LVA(Literacy Volunteers of America) books which are free to both tutor and student. After a volunteer is trained, the coordinator will match the trained volunteer with a student.
- Project READ needs the talents of fundraisers and speakers and assistance in public relations. Charitable contributions are accepted and all donations are tax deductible. Please make checks payable to your local library: Project READ.
- For more information call the Queen Anne's County Free Library at 410-758-0980 or 410-643-8161.
Storytime on Wheels
Due to distance and the logistics of traveling with many young children, most home day care providers cannot bring their charges to the library for traditional storytime. In response to this need, the Storytime on Wheels project was developed to bring storytimes to children in licensed day care homes in Queen Anne's County.
Trained volunteers make monthly visits to a site, to share books, poems, finger plays and other exciting reading readiness activities with the children. Participating day care providers promise to make reading a part of their daily routine. The goal of Storytime on Wheels is to help day care providers help busy parent bring the love of books and reading to young children.
For more information or to become a Storytime on Wheels volunteer contact Queen Anne's County Free Library at 410-758-0980 or 410-643-8161.